Monday, January 12, 2009

Racing Snakes and Crazy Countdowns!

Congratulation to Nico Pfitzenmaier for winning the Terra Firma at this weekends Total Sports challenge! The Cranks was part of his support team for the day and it was awesome to see him and all the other competitors in action. 

We met up with the German Multi-Sport legend at last years Epic were he won the Mixed category with Ivonne Craft. Since his move to Stellenbosch we have had the opportunity to get to know him allot better and have even dragged him along on some Cranks training rides just to ensure that he gets some higher intensity rides in every now and then………….just kidding! There is some big news regarding who Nico will pair up with to defend his Mixed title this year! Be sure that you will be the first to get the breaking news as soon it is made official! All I can say is that the other mixed teams thinking of taking the title is: be afraid, be very afraid!  Go check out Nico's website at www.epix-sports-tours.com.

Although we got to see “The Sauserwind” race at the Total Sports challenge it ment we missed seeing Burry Stander blow they local XC racing field apart at the first National in Jonkershoek, winning by over 7 minutes!. It was his first race on his new Specialized Epic sporting his all new, all red, all Specialzed kit! I think the “Specialized” combinations of local boy Burry Stander and legendary Christoph Sauser is going be a very marked team at this year Epic!

On Sunday Somerset West hometown hero Andrew Neetling, racing for the international Trek DH team this year, took top honours in the Downhill racing. He was on his all new Trek Session 88 (It was only released from customs on Wednesday!). Best of all he won it by 5 minutes on his “feeler” run as he made a bit of a hash of his final run.

Don’t worry the Cranks did managed to get in some riding this weekend. After the Total Sport challenge Jaco, Hein and myself went out and battled with the legendary south easter wind for just over three hours, great fun!. Sunday morning we drove out to Grabouw to tackle Groenlandberg. I love this ride! I don’t think there is a more scenic ride in the Western Cape.


This weekend we tackle the Attakwas (www.dryland.co.za), a 126km race from Outshoorn to Klein Brak. With 2616m of climbing its sure going to be a tough one and a good way to gauge how our Epic preparation is going!

So with less that 5 days to Attakwas, less than 70 days to the Epic and less than 100 days before I get married I think I have a couple of crazy months ahead............wish me luck!

One more thing I want to mention…………..

For the last few years I have been trying to find a way to fit my prescription into sunglasses for riding. About two months ago I was up in Pretoria and was strolling through Menlyn Shopping Mall when I saw some Rudy Project banners outside an optometrist. Trying my luck, I started to chat to the representative about prescription sunglasses, after some consultation between him and the optometrist they had come up with a solution! I couldn’t believe it!


Less than two weeks later I received my pair of awesome Rudy Project Rydon’s with Photochromic lenses and RX insert with my prescription! Even more incredible if you think I live 1600km from them. What a difference to finally be able to ride with sunglasses! The Photochromic lenses are awesome, they transition from clear to dark according to the light intensity within a few seconds, I am even able to do night rides with them!

A big thanks to Simon Edmons (simon@rudyproject.co.za) of Rudy Project and Bernadine Flynn from Melins I-Style in Menlyn. If you need prescription sports eyewear give these guys a call! 

No comments: