Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Whoop Whoop!

Every now and then you just have to slap that eject button on the big old toaster that’s life and get away from the heat! Even if its just for a short while until some idiot grabs hold of you, covers you in peanut butter and eats you alive……………I think I might have lost myself in that analogy!

Anyway what I’m trying to get to is taking time to reflect on your life, were you came from, your current situation, and in some peoples case the precious few years you have left in life. My oldest friend ,excuse the pun!, turns 30 today, which means I have known him for 30 years! Well actually 29 years, 10 months and 8 days. I hope you have an awesome birthday buddy, and many more joyful Zimmer frame walks.


One of my great mentors in life once told me that to have a well-balanced life you should visualize the different aspects of your life as water tanks lined up next to each other. Each tank representing a different part of your life, for example: work, relationships, sport, friends, etc. The key is to keep these tanks at the same level, trying to divide your time equally between all of them. The problem is we have a 500 000 litre reservoir as our “Epic Tank” and my “Work Tank” is giving the Steenbras dam a go! Bottom line is I am spending all my time at work and watching the other tanks slowly drain from a distance!

Last night I decided to give my “Epic Tank” some much needed attention and joined Paul and the guys from Helderberg Cycling World for their weekly night ride. My last night ride was about 10months ago at the 24hrs of Wiesenhof so I was a bit apprehensive as to what I was getting myself into. I one word AWESOME! We did loads of singletrack, allot of it that I have not even seen in daylight. On most sections I was desperately trying to hang onto their wheels as they were just ripping down the trails. It was loads of fun and I will be back next week!

To all our Comrades in training, good luck for the big double this weekend! As it’s Jaco’s birthday party on Saturday we will be hitting the beers relentlessly and doing tequila intervals untill the sun comes up!

So to end of this post I thought we could all join in song to once again congratulate my “old” friend Jaco! The last 30 years have been a blast and I’m sure the next 30 will be nothing but spectacular (as long as you keep riding, I can pretty much guarantee it!)!

So here we go 1, 2, 3…………”Geluk liewe maatjie omdat jy verjaar!……………………..”

Later

Nico

No comments: